Friday, April 27, 2012

Black Bean "Meatball" Curry

This came out pretty tasty and I didn't have to fuss either, so hurray for frozen "meatballs". Chopping these kinds of vegies only takes a couple of minutes and the wash-up takes only a couple more. I love quick and easy meals, especially when they taste good too.


Black Bean "Meatball" Curry

1 large onion, sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced in half-moons
1/3 carrot, shaved
1 thick wad spinach/greens
2 tablespoons olive oil
turmeric
rosemary
sea salt
water as needed

Lightly saute the onions and garlic. As they start to soften, add in the chopped celery and sliced zucchini. Add water as necessary throughout to keep the vegies from sticking to the pan and for maintaining a moist base. Add in the "meatballs" and a bit more water to thaw them out more quickly. When the "meatballs" have been warmed through, add turmeric, rosemary (powder) and sea salt to taste.


The "meatball" curry was pretty good, even for being in a hurry when I made it. Tomorrow's impromptu outing will be great with some energy food that's still low in carbs, so I don't think my stomach will be gnawing the backbone too soon with this. And not only will it be satisfying, it's also easy to carry around till lunch. The black rice waffles (made with black wild rice and millet) in the picture above are for my breakfast on the early, early bus. I'll spread a bit of coconut oil on them (limit is 2) and maybe some sprinkles of cinnamon and have a tasty carb breakfast for a high energy day. A couple of snacks I'm packing along are two slabs of cabbage, one of purple cabbage and the other of white. Cabbage slabs travel well.  


By the way, the salad pictured is one of my favorites - bok choy salad. This particular bok choy salad also has spicey-tangy sesame seed leaves, cherry tomatoes, chopped onions, hemp seed and my lemon-olive oil dressing. Actually with the hemp, I don't feel like I need a dressing ... but it tastes better with the flavored light oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment