Monday, November 21, 2011

Creamy Cherry Yogurt Dip

Tonight I wanted something red in my meal ... I'm not sure why but red is a vibrant, appealing color to complement the huge amounts of green I eat, so tonight my eyes landed on the tart cherry concentrate (100% tart cherry) little used in my fridge and I figured I could add that to a cashew base and get a pink dressing. While blending it, I added a not-so-very-smart shake of coriander for a complementary flavor; however, the coriander powder muted the color. Oops! Hmm, so then I remembered some fresh frozen cranberries - even lower glycemic than tart cherries - so added a handful to the blender. Wow, the cranberries left flecks of candy cane color and did color the dressing a soft pink (the picture unfortunately doesn't pick up on that color ... or the flavor, but it was very smooth and subtly sweet, very much like a yogurt in both flavor and consistency!)


Creamy Cherry Yogurt Dip

2/3 cup cashews (soaked 1 hour, soak water tossed)
1 1/2 cups water
3-4 teaspoons tart cherry concentrate (100% cherry)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 shake coriander
1 handful frozen/fresh cranberries




When it was fresh, it was somewhat pourable but after several minutes it had begun to thicken and set. Ah, what a wonderful yogurty dressing. So for the main entree of black beans and adlay/Job's tears, I dolloped a big spoonful on the beans and grain, mixed salad in to, and had a wonderful warm meal. Very wholesome and VERY tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment