Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

For 6 days after soaking a 1/2 cup of lentils overnight I allowed them to sprout in a plastic collander covered lightly by a silk-like cloth.  At least twice a day I rinsed the lentils (it's winter so I don't need to rinse them so often to keep them fresh). Because my apartment is cool and my pantry with large slightly opened window where I sprout cooler, it took longer than usual for the lentils to sprout and grow, but I didn't need to worry so much about e.coli forming, which is more likely to happen in hotter weather. 

So after 6 days when the sprouts were growing into a tangle, I found some time to finally make some crackers. Long ago I made some lentil crackers, which turned out really good, so since I was planning a weekend train trip, I thought some crackers for nibbling on the train or when hiking would be nice. And, yup, they were pretty tasty ... although I have to admit, the lentil crackers I made before were somehow better ... that usually happens when you don't write down a recipe. 

Sprouted Lentil Crackers

1/2 cup lentil soaked for 8-12 hours, then allowed to sprout a few days
1 medium onion
5 large kale leaves
1 3-inch chunk of ginger
sea salt sprinkled on top of crackers

Lentils after sprouting for 6 days. This is only 1/4 of a cup worth. I had to separate the lentils after 4 days because they were getting so matted and I didn't want them to mold in the center of the mat. That worked out just fine! I then had 2 collanders of sprouting lentils.
Blend lentil sprouts gradually. Add chopped onions, ginger and kale in phases and blend.
 Try not to overblend so as to keep texture.
Gradually blend in the lentil sprouts to not only stress the food processor but also to give the "dough" texture.
Spread out lentil "dough" on dehydrator sheets, at least 1/4" thick. I like a bit thicker when planning to take them traveling as they hold togther a lot better.
Make different shapes depending on your purpose.
Great texture. After "dough" has been spread, lightly sprinkle on sea salt and dehydrate.
Dehydrate at 115F for 1 1/2 - 2 days, flipping crackers at least half-way through.
Yummy! Thin, very tasty crackers!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the great ideas. What brand of dehydrator do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one in the pict is a L'equip. I'm not wild about it but it's all I can get in Korea. But I do have another one at my mom's in the states, an Excalibur, which I highly recommend. It's got circular air dehydrating and the racks can be removed from making taco shell baskets draped over cereal bowls.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It's delicious. My cracker dough came a little bit on a runny side, so I had to put it on the pieces of kale. And it flipped over easily, was crispy and yummy. Cheryl, what color lentils is your preference? Did you try this recipe with sprouted black beans? would it be a candida friendly food or a special treat only? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I use the brown lentils. They still have their hulls and therefore have more fiber. Orange lentils bother me for some reason ... maybe my body wants that fiber, not sure. I don't use black beans much. I used to quite a lot but I felt a bit heavy afterwards (they are candida-friendly). Then one day I read that black beans are rather hard to digest, which made sense to me. I have digestion issues, so why complicate life. So now I hardly eat them. Just my personal choice.

      Delete