Saturday, September 15, 2012

Gluten-free, Sugar-free Walnut Red-currant Zucchini Bread

Needing something to take with me on a trip this weekend, I thought zucchini bread would travel compactly and well. Unfortunately, my previous recipe Gluten-free Sugar-free Zucchini Bread calls for almond flour, but I'm out, so I peeked in the fridge to see what I do have ... quinoa and flax! Perfect!
 
Walnut Red-currant Zucchini Bread
 
1 1/2 cups quinoa
3/4 cup flax
3/4 cup almonds
3 tablespoons cinnamon
2-3 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons cloves
1 scant teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
4 eggs
2/3 cup coconut oil
2 cups water
3 cups zucchini
2 cups chopped cabbage
1 cup red currants (use a third for garnish)
1 cup pieces or whole washed walnuts

In a BlendTec, whiz the quinoa, flax and almonds to a coarse flour, then dump the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix. Then add the eggs, coconut oil and water, and mix. Next, stir in the zucchini, cabbage and walnuts, and finally fold in the red currants. Best to let the batter sit for 20 minutes so the quinoa and flax can soak up the water before baking. The bread will be moister that way. Adjust water if necessary.

Then, liberally coconut oil the loaf pans or muffin tins. This will make the outsides crusty so that they slide out of the pans but they will also have more flavor. Spoon the thick but somewhat drippy batter into the baking dishes and, if making small loaves, bake on 350F for 45 minutes. If baking muffins, bake for perhaps 35 minutes. Serve hot bread with solid coconut oil; it'll be like a butter.

BTW, I used the cabbage because I only had one zucchini and felt like I needed more. The bread ended up with white pieces throughout which made it more colorful, and, the flavor and chewiness was perhaps enhanced. Nice accident :) Cabbage is slightly sweet anyway so it was a good call.

Oops, realizing I'll need more zucchini ... hmmm, what to do?
Right! I'll just add a cup or two of shredded cabbage ... and some currants for color.
Before baking ... garnish with red currants.
Yummy right out of the oven with a little cold coconut oil on top as "butter"!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,
    Won't the sugar in the red currants feed the candida?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use any fruit for several months, but then I added the very occasional small amount of low glycemic fruits (cranberries, red currants, blackberries, half an apricot, 1/3 a Granny Smith apple, a slice of Asian apple/pear) to hopefully extend my diet. Only once a week or less. I can now handle this small amount but in the beginning there was just no way.

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful recipe! I tried it for my Easter breads/cakes. Only I had no red currants at hand and used cranberries instead. I also turned soaked nuts into milk with a soaked and cut into pieces vanilla bean and put it into dough instead of whole nut pieces and water. And I dare use only one egg and 3 flax eggs. It still worked great. Thank you very much, Cheryl. And Happy Easter to you! Blessings. Valentyna.

    ReplyDelete