Thursday, February 7, 2013

First Sugar-free Raw Pie!

Without using any sugar or sweeteners, I must rely on blending food flavors to lend that dessert "sweetness" people so much like. Well, my cranberry-topped zucchini "cheesecake" is pretty good, especially since I prefer savory over sweet, which this is a unique conbination of. 
 
Raw, completely sugar-free zucchini "cheesecake"
 
Crust:
1 cup washed walnuts
1/3 cup hemp seeds
4 tablespoons flaxseeds
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon coriander
pinch of sea salt
water as needed
 
Filling:
1 large skinned zucchini
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked & drained
1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
pinch of sea salt
 
Topping:
1/2 cup frozen cranberries, chopped

All of the ingredients in the list above are naturally sweet, except the walnuts, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, and sea salt, oh, and the tart cranberries! I would have used the naturally sweet almond but didn't have any on hand, but this turned out pretty decent for no sugar or sweetener, and I'll certainly be making it again! Without the cranberries though, it just couldn't be called "dessert".
 

The flax nuttiness of the crust and the cranberries really made this a nice combination :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello,this is really looking yummy!
    But it's not all easy to cook for me.
    how is your work going?
    hope you found nice one^^

    kuki~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kuki,
    Because I have a high-speed blender, this is really easy to make. Remind me in April to invite you over and I'll see if I can make you a raw-food dessert. Maybe something similar to this :)

    ReplyDelete