Monday, February 27, 2012

Garden Burgers

Traveling with candida is hard, especially for several hours on an airplane and the meal options do NOT include candida. I usually request a diabetic meal but man, I end up with fruit snacks, cheese, wheat bread and of course something with soy sauce or vinegar and those tasty seasonings that rip my body apart more than the fruit itself. So I pack me a bag of food for the plane, and any freshies like slabs of cabbage or broccoli pieces that haven't been eaten before deboarding in Korea, I just toss on the plane.

Well, I thought this time I'd have me some burger-patties to extend my veggies and gluten-free waffles. So into the kitchen I went and started throwing things in a bowl. Again I have to say that the following measurements are pretty close gestimates and might need some tweaking .... it's just that it takes so long to sit around and measure, and then pour, and then measure and then pour again. More dishes to wash that way too ... ugh! Anyway ...

Garden Burgers (candida friendly)

1 large onion, chopped
2 cups zucchini, grated
1 carrot, grated
1/2 large head of cauliflower, grated
3 stalks celery, chipped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup flaxmeal
1-2 cups leftover cooked grain (gluten-free--brown rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat)
1-2 cups chickpea flour
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon rosemary
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds* (soaked 1 hour and drained)
walnut halves for garnish

Mix all ingredients, adding more chickpea flour as necessary to get a not-too-sticky dough. Form into balls and flatten into patties. Shaping the patties in a large-mouth jar ring helps make uniform patties.

Garden Burgers (candida relaxed version)

*instead of sunflower seeds use:
1 cup pecan pieces
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1 - 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, diced
black pepper



2 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl!
    I was very glad to find your blog. It is a very useful resource for vegan candida sufferers. But when I try to visit certain pages Google Chrome gives me the following warning :

    Danger: Malware Ahead!
    Google Chrome has blocked access to this page on systemiccandida.blogspot.kr.
    Content from www.wildwoodlsc.org, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your ____ (Brand of computer, edited by me) with malware.
    Malware is malicious software that causes things like identity theft, financial loss, and permanent file deletion.

    Please check your website for a potential problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the heads-up about Malware warnings appearing on my blog. I tried to re-enter all Wildwood Lifestyle Center links, and discovered that (maybe it's only today!) the site has been blocked on the web! I'll contact the center and let them know too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete