Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Black Bean Burgers

Rushed in the door and tried to "whip up" some burgers before I headed out to an evening event. Yesterday before going to bed, I set half of a bag of black beans to soak overnight. This morning before heading out, I poured off the soak water with its contaminants and washed the beans until the run-off water was colorless. Then I put them in my crock-pot, covered them with water and turned the pot on slow cook. So when I walked in the door this evening, dinner depended on what I wanted to do with the beans ... and I wanted burgers!

Black Bean Burgers

4 cups black beans, cooked and mashed
garbanzo bean broth as needed
1 1/2 cups garbanzo bean flour
1 cup purple cabbage, finely shredded
4 stems celery, diced finely
1 cup parsley, shredded and packed
1 tomato, chopped well
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2+ teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons cumin
a couple dashes of cinnamon and cloves (each)
2 teaspoons thyme

First, I dumped a bunch of beans in a big bowl and with a potato masher, I smushed those babies down till all beans had been squashed a bit and some were completely pulverized. If I wanted to really mash them up, I would have used a food processor but I wanted texture in my burgers. Then I chopped up the vegies as fine as I could without dirtying a food processor, dumped everything together, dashed seasonings on and then greased my cookie sheet. Without washing the oil off my hands, I started balling up blobs of burger to form patties. The texture was a bit sticky but the reason I only used 1 1/2 cups of garbanzo bean flour was that was all I had. I think more could definitely have been used, but the texture wasn't bad and there was sufficient as the burgers held together well when cooked. Anyway, bake the on a greased cookie sheet for 40 minutes at 350F.




3 comments:

  1. I made the blackbean burger with the ingrediants I had in my home.
    It was really great!
    That was my first try, and I want to make it again tonight, but this time I am going to make it as what the receipe says.
    It should be more rich taste I would expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you could find the flax meal and garbanzo bean flour OK. You could also use dahl (lentil) flour - also available at the international store. It's a bit lighter than the garbanzo bean flour. I wish I could use it but it's a bit higher on the glycemic chart so for the time I avoid the stuff.
    Wow, you honor me making my recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete